Thursday, September 15, 2011

Dallas Weekend Openings: September 10th, 2011

   
Although there were about 15 art openings around Dallas this last weekend, I decided to see the 500X "New Members" show and the opening at Conduit Gallery as my top picks. As an art critic or more importantly as an art enthusiast I always try and do my best to propel the local art scene and give credit where it is so grossly deserved. In other words, I try not to slam any artist or particular gallery for having what I feel is somewhat...we'll just say, "misunderstood art". This time though, I think I should say what needs to be said! The great 500X Gallery, known as the oldest artist run space in Texas..lets just say.. needs a little help. There were a few good pieces in the “New Members“ opening and I cannot deny that. I’ve posted a few of those finds below on this blog. However, for the most part the show was...well...just not what I expected from a gallery with such pretenses surrounding its existence. In other words, "The wine was delicious". That was the general consensus in the group of ten that were with me that night. On the other side of town, Conduit Gallery had a remarkable display of work and including photography, sculpture and collage art (Pictured Below). It did seem most unfortunate that they closed the show at 8:30PM when clearly people wanted to hang longer. Also it looked like people were actually buying the art! Sculpture artist Sandra Ono of California sold several pieces that night. A pretty impressive display at the Conduit indeed.

500X Gallery Opening (The good, interesting and... very strange)







The Conduit Gallery Opening








Our group finished the night at The Foundation Room inside HOB with a bartender named Pat, who makes a great cocktail. Another night in Dallas comes to a close.
-Blow-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment