Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Kevin McCartney thinks Damien Hirst is Predictable!" -McCartney


  A few weeks ago Blow-Up had the awesome opportunity to interview professional artist and creative director for Barney’s Dallas, Kevin McCartney. Sitting at the bar of The Cedars Social around Southside Dallas, Kevin and I watched a great view of the sun setting over the skyline while indulging in a few rounds of Guinness and talking art. Kevin is sort of a cool cat, reserved and well respected in the community but brash at times and never dull.  Some of his ideas about the creative process and what it takes to be an artist are fascinating. Honestly, I was so caught up in our conversations that I failed to take adequate notes and may just have to wing this article. As we drank and interviewed, I noticed his collage work was all over the walls around the bar. He told me the Cedars has been good to him and he’s regularly sold work there. He also said he made a piece to give me for the interview but subconsciously left it at his studio because of his hatred of parting with his creations; even for payment. I told him I understood but the thought was nice all the same. McCartney has been an artist for 26 years. He completed his undergraduate with a bachelors of fine arts at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. He then completed his graduate studies at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Blow-Up:  “Kevin, what is your art really about? What do you think your art is really doing?”

McCartney:   “It’s controlled randomness. I control my work by what I choose to collect and use in my pieces. Almost like a mood shift. One day I wake up this way, one day I wake up another. Ultimately my emotional being or the id is in control. According to these emotional parameters what objects go into a piece are chosen and essentially the materials control you. Almost like Dr. Frankenstein. The doctor makes/controls a monster and the monster later controls the doctor. The doctor then becomes emotionally attached to the monster as you become emotionally attached to your artwork. A kind of metaphoric duality exists in the act of creation.”

Blow-Up: “That is really fascinating to me, it makes perfect sense!”

McCartney:  “It’s also about the choice of materials vs. the end result of the piece that I really get off on. Art is a process and really anyone can make art. I have numerous degrees in art and stuff but I always go back to found art. Marcel Duchamp, Joseph Cornell; guys like that really inspired me. I always incorporate what I love/collect into my work. I will always do what I do. I can make art out of anything”.

Blow-Up:    “So let me ask you, do you think that everyone is susceptible to artistic expression or do you think that it may require certain sensitivity to visual or conceptual stimulation?”

McCartney:  “People choose to have it or not have it. Art is part of a greater conversation and that conversation is not for everybody.”

Blow-Up:    “How susceptible do you think your artwork is to hype? I mean, in relation to what hype did for artists like Damien Hirst or Martin Creed.”

McCartney:   “I welcome hype. Out of perceived power you get real power. I think Damien Hirst is predictable! It’s all just a result of your ability to saturate your identity in the right place at the right time. I welcome hype and I want celebrity status!” (Laughs all the way around)

Blow-Up:    “I want to say that your pieces subconsciously evoke the question, “why” and immediately the viewer begins the analytical process of deconstructing the work into compartmental analysis. Overall I think I am a little upset that you forgot my piece because I’d love to analyze it every day in my personal art collection……bummer.”

McCartney:     “I’ll bring it next time.”

(another round of Guinness is enjoyed by all)






Kevin McCartney will be showing this fall at the PM Gallery in Dallas Texas. Follow Blow-Up for more information on his upcoming show. He also has work featured in the September issue of D Magazine. You can stop by the Cedars Social to see a few of his creations hanging on their walls. Cedars Social also serve a hell of a good cocktail and wicked cold Guinness!

No comments:

Post a Comment