Thursday, September 29, 2011

Washed Out's Within and Without: By Blow-Up Blog's Newest Music Editor, Paul Levins


Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of this “chill-wave” movement.  Sometimes called glo-fi  or dreampop, depending on whom you ask, the genre’s style is midtempo, heavily electronic, and with a hazy, detached quality that does nothing for me.  I tend to gravitate toward a more visceral music experience, be it propulsive intensity that gets my blood pumping, complicated arrangements that tickle my brain, affecting lyrics that push my buttons, a truly soulful performance, or simply a beat that compels my ass to shake.  Chill-wave puts emphasis on none of that, so bands in this genre (Destroyer, The XX, Toro y Moi, etc.) usually bore me to tears.  Ladies and gentlemen, I have found my exception.  The band is Washed Out, and the album is Within and Without.
It’s not that this album is set that far outside the genre; it carries all the trappings listed above.  I think what elevates it for me is the high level of production and the slightly accelerated tempo.  On the production side, the album sports a fully fleshed out sound with arrangements deeper than the “electronic bleeps in empty space” profile of its compatriots.  And the faster tempo brings it up to a level  necessary to avoid garnering my usual chill-wave descriptor, “sleep inducing.”  The record still doesn’t command my full attention; the lyrics are buried under reverb, and the songs are not particularly unique from one another.  It is however a fantastic background record, pleasing but unobtrusive.  Remember that song “Porcelain” from Moby?  If not, here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBKa9lqdwjw)  The sound of Within and Without is something akin to that song with the melancholy surgically removed, nine variations on one very solid theme.  The effect is like an audible neck massage, fingers through your hair, and a whispered “Everything is okay.”  A more reductive way to say it would be that the music seems tailor-made for the ecstasy crowd, but unlike some records (I’m looking at you, Neon Indian.), a history of drug use is not required for enjoyment.  (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF67C10869720A729)

Meet Blow-Up's Newest Music Editor: Paul Levins


Portland Oregon is home to The Dandy Warhols, Modest Mouse and Blow-Up Blog’s newest editorial member Paul Levins. Over the next few months Paul will be expanding our musical horizons with his unique and excellent taste in sonic offerings.  We look forward to his contribution to the blog and hope your mp3 players  and imaginations do too. Paul, welcome to Blow-Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment